- Mitigating the high potential hazards in the Mineral Products Industry
FATAL 1 - Contact with moving machinery and isolation
22% of fatalities in the industry are as a result of contact with moving machinery often associated with a failure to correctly isolate.
Fatalities or serious injuries mainly due to a failure to isolate machinery, poor guarding, inadequate exclusion areas, poor procedures or a failure to follow them.
These tragic incidents often involve horrific injuries associated with entrapment, crushing, amputations, pinching, lacerations or burns.
In many cases these incidents were foreseeable and avoidable.
Reducing these incidents will be achieved by the implementation of the following
- More effective management
- Better risk assessments
- Additional training
- Better designed guarding
- Following LOTOTO isolation procedures
- Better machine and process design
- Use of appropriate exclusion zones
- Updated safe systems of work
- Other related measures.
Click on the buttons below for relevant information.